Region 1 consists of seven high schools from Davis and Weber County. I think this 6A region is quietly very good with tons of college prospects. Davis High School is the powerhouse program that continues to win under Coach Sims and this year they are loaded with talent. We believe that they will have to share the Region 1 crown this year. Here is how we think the region will play out....
(T-1) Davis High School: Last season the Darts won 17 games before being beat out in the state tournament by a very talented Pleasant Grove team. Davis returns some key pieces and some younger kids are ready to step up. Josh Sanders is a talented 2018 guard that can score and defend. 6'8 big man Rich Stuck is another key piece as he is looking to have a big year. 6'6 2019 guard Tyson Garff is poised to have a huge year after a nice summer playing club ball. He is a D1 prospect and is a gifted passer. Overall, I believe Davis has a chance to make a run at a state title if their outside shooting can be consistent.
(T-1) Layton High School: I think they will be a surprise team in 6A and will share the Region 1 title with Davis. 2018 guard Truman Brown is the top returning scorer as he averaged nearly 12 points per game. I think he is poised for a big year and could average between 16 and 20 points per game. 2019 6'8 big man Collin Jeppson is much improved and has gotten himself into great shape. Another key piece will be 2018 6'7 Skyler Turner. He will be out due to injury until around Christmas time. If he can come back and be at full form by the state tournament then I think Layton will be a dangerous team.
(3) Fremont High School: They are coming off of a solid year that lead them to the state tournament where they fell in the first round to Jordan High School. The Silverwolves are losing big-time scorer Saxton Morby due to graduation but I believe Lone Peak transfer Dallin Hall will fill his void. He is one of the top 2020 players in the state of Utah and can really score the ball. 2018 6'7 big man Zach Taylor is a double double machine when he is engaged and if he can have a big year then Fremont will compete with Davis and Layton.
(4) Northridge High School: They are coming off last year where they took 4th place in their region and I think they will be back there again. The Knights return double digit scoring guards Alec Duffin and Matt Goodrich which will make for a good back court. With these two guards and some solid role players I think the Knights could be a tough out at the tournament as the 4th seed.
(5) Weber High School: Is losing do-it-all guard Connor Shaw that is now playing for Umqua Community College in Oregon. They do have some key returners that could help the Warriors compete for the 4th and final play-off spot in Region 1. Sharp shooting guard Hunter Howe is returning as he made 38 three last year and I expect that number to be around 50 this year. Also they have 6'6 forward Kobe Furqueron who made 31 threes last year. I think the shooters Weber has will keep them in a lot of ball games this year.
(6) Clearfield High School: Has been a bottom dwelling team for many years and this year I think they could be better this year but are stuck in a tough region. 6'2 2018 guard Rich Corbin is the top returning scorer and he will need to up his scoring. 2018 guard Kaden Swartz will also need to have a big year to keep Clearfield competitive has he is one of. their best shooters.
(7) Syracuse High School: They are coming off a season where they made the play-offs but were beat in the first round. I think this season will be a tough one for the Titans. 2018 guard Brock Gilbert stop returning players as he averaged double digit scoring in route to an all-region year for him.