Region 3 consists of five high schools that are located in Salt Lake County. Four out of the five teams will make the 6A tournament. We will be predicting how things will shake out and highlight some of top players in the region.
1) West Jordan High School: Had a solid year last year in route to a quarter-final finish in the 5A State Tournament. With the realignment of regions and some key returners, we believe they will win region 3. 2018 W/F Darrian Nebeker will lead the way for the Jaguars. He is getting some high juco interest and has a chance to play at the D1 level. Also, 2018 point guard Sinai Enoch will play a huge role. After a great performance at our showcase he is receiving interest from some good jucos. This guard/foward combo will be one of the best in the state and should be fun to watch.
2) Copper Hills High School: Had a great run with Mr. Basketball winner Stockton Shorts but now they will have to find a new identity without him as he is playing for Snow College. I think the Grizzles will struggle in the pre-season but I think they will find their groove in region. Trevon Allfrey is going to be key piece as I think he needs to average between 15 and 18 points per game for them to be successful.
3) Herriman High School: Struggled big-time last year with all of their young players. I think this year will be much different as they have the talent to win the region. 2019 guard Jael Vaughn, 2019 big man Blake Freeland, and 2020 big man Kase Peterson will lead the charge. The mustangs should dominate in the paint and my only question is can they make enough outside shots to keep opposing defenses honest.
4) Riverton High School: Struggled last year in a tough region but I think they will make the play-offs this year. 2020 Richie Saunders should be fun to watch and I can see him putting up monster scoring numbers this year. With a player like this they are capable of beating some better teams. I haven't see much of them this past summer so I will be interested to see what else they have other than Saunders.
5) Taylorsville High School: Are losing their top five scorers from last season so they are a team of unknowns. We will be able to better predict how they do in Region 3 after seeing them play in the pre-season.