Region 7 Preview
Region 7 consists of six high schools from Utah and Salt Lake County. This is the best 5A region from top to bottom and is loaded with college prospects. I would not be surprised to see two of these teams in the state tournament championship. Here is how with think the region will finish out....
1) Timpview High School: They are led by senior guard Hunter Erickson who is committed to BYU. He is an explosive guard that plays above the rim and is also a knock down shooter. The Thunderbirds also have junior guard Nate Hansen who recently was offered by UC Riverside and to go with him senior point guard Adam Santiago averaged over 16 points per game. These three guards have the ability to each score 30 points on any given night.
2) Corner Canyon High School: have a very balanced team that includes 6'8 junior big man Hayden Welling who has several D1 schools recruiting him after a great summer of club ball. They also have transfer Josh Christensen who is a 6'5 wing that is a big-time athlete and should make a big difference. Guards John Mitchell and Ammon Jensen round out the players to watch as both are colleges level players. The Chargers have the talent to win this region and the state title.
3) Jordan High School: Have an extremely talented started five than can compete with any team in the state. Lone Peak transfer Dyson Frank should make a huge impact. The 6'7 junior forward/wing is already receiving D1 interest and can do a little bit of everything. Sophomore Dyson Koehler should have a breakout year as he is one of the best prospects in the state and junior Terryn Mosley is also another D1 wing prospect that is dangerous in the open court. Senior guard Chandler Dean will need to provide leadership to this young group and be knock down shooter to keep the paint open for their athletes.
4) Brighton High School: Will be led by the Krystkowiak's brothers that are both coming off of seasons where they averaged over 10 points per game. Cam Krystkowisk has received an offer from Portland state after a big summer with Utah Exum Elite and he will need to have a huge senior year for Brighton to compete with the top teams in this region.
5) Alta High School: Will be led by 6'6 senior Armani Levine as he is coming off of a strong junior year. He will need to up his scoring and protect the rim in order for Alta to compete in this brutal region. Transfer Indy Hansen is a huge addition as he will run the point for the Hawks. His is a true point guard and he will have the job in making the team go.
6) Cottonwood High school: Are stuck in the best 5A region so might struggle a bit. Senior guard Space McDonald will be important to their success as he made over three pointers last season. Many JV guys from last year will need to step and score the ball for the Colts.
Leave a Reply.